Thursday, December 15, 2016

Leaving Home


In a few short weeks, our lives will never be the same as we move overseas. The tickets have been bought. Our belongings are on a ship (or soon to be). The page is about to turn. As I sit here, the emotions are mixed. Sadness. Excitement. A little bit of anxiety. We’re about to take the leap, and we don’t know exactly what lies ahead.

The idea of moving overseas has never been an easy one for me. I like the stability of having a home and routine, with just a little bit of spontaneity thrown in (as long as I can return to the familiar!). As I have shared with many of you, the journey to where I am has not been a straight or easy road. The Lord has taught me much about how the losses are nothing compared to the glorious gains of following Him.  I KNOW that this is what God is calling us to do and I am willing to go. But sometimes, the feeling of a loss of “home” is really hard!

During this season of Advent, I am deeply encouraged as I meditate on the fact that Jesus left His home – a beautiful, perfect place – to dwell among us. A sinful, sick people in a dirty, filthy world. And He did it willingly, in obedience to the Father and with love for those who were lost.

Sometimes I don’t want to trade the beautiful cornfields of Indiana (or the mountains of Virginia) for the dirty streets of a big city. 
Jesus traded streets of gold for dusty footpaths.

I don’t want to feel like a little child again as I try to learn a new language. 
Jesus was God, but He became a helpless baby and a child.

I don’t want to live the next few years with no “home” where I don’t feel settled anywhere.
Jesus had no place to lay His head.

I don’t want to leave my friends and be lonely as I start over with building new relationships.
Jesus was “despised and rejected”. His own disciples deserted Him and Peter denied knowing Him at the cross. God the Father forsook His own Son at the cross. Jesus truly was alone.

When I meditate on what Jesus did for me – and the whole world – I realize that my sacrifices are so small. And I am also comforted that He truly knows how I feel.

What a generous gift (and a wondrous mystery!) that God would send His precious Son into this world! How can I not joyfully walk forward in faith, trusting that the blessing and reward is great if I lay all my hopes and dreams at the feet of Jesus?

Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery
Matt Papa

Come behold the wondrous mystery
In the dawning of the King
He the theme of heaven’s praises
Robed in frail humanity

In our longing, in our darkness
Now the light of life has come
Look to Christ, who condescended
Took on flesh to ransom us!



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful meditations. He is so good! I love you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete